Saturday, May 22, 2010

Off To a Running Start!

I made the most amazing Black Bean and Artichoke Burritos for dinner last night! The husband even gave it two thumbs up and a WOW. He had his work physical just the day before and the doctor told him since the year before he's gained some weight and his numbers weren't as good as they had been. Nothing that he didn't already know, he just has been lazy and he knows it. Anyway, he said he needed to start eating my, "veggie crap" more often. He liked how easy this meal was to make and how filling it was. We also baked up some zucchini to have as a nice side. The husband has been at work for the last three days (and by three days I mean 72 hours...joys of being married to a fire fighter), so it was nice to sit down and enjoy a healthy meal together!

Black Bean and Artichoke Burritos

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 (10 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 large tomato, diced (optional)

Directions

  1. Pour the beans into a large iron skillet, and bring to a boil. Cook at a hard simmer until they become pasty and begin to resemble burrito beans in texture.
  2. Heat oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Stir in artichoke hearts, onion, and garlic; cook until the artichokes become golden brown.
  3. Place tortillas in a dry skillet over low heat to warm. Remove from skillet. Spoon beans and artichoke mixture onto each tortilla, and top with cheese and tomato. Fold in ends, and roll up.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 159 | Total Fat: 11.1g | Cholesterol: 30mg

This morning the original plan was to get up early and go running with Meg, but sleeping in was a tick nicer. We were still up by 6:30 am, so we decided to make a nice breakfast and eat outside by the pool instead. Made ice cream for breakfast! Okay, not really ice cream but it sure did taste like it. We mixed some organic Greek yogurt with honey, cinnamon and a few almonds. Then mixed frozen bananas in the food processor with a little coco powder and Almond Breeze. Layered the two in glasses along with some raw oatmeal and a few blueberries! Perfect way to start off the morning!

I debated about going to the 3-Day Clinic at the New Balance store , but in the end decided I really wanted to check it all out and see other walkers. They started the clinic off with a a three mile walk, but Meg wouldn't be able to come with on the walk so we got to the store by the time they had all gotten back. That worked out perfect. They had tons of pink ribbon apparel and everything was 20% off for registered walkers. They did have the cutest running skirts, so when Meg and I reach our goal of running three miles we know where to go!!

I was really excited about having a shoe fitting since I swear I have one foot that is longer than the other AND I have really big feet as it is. Sure enough my feet are a little odd but the guy helping me wasn't worried at all. We spoke about what kind of running and walking I do and then he was off picking out options for me. The first shoe he put on fit like a glove , amazing. My toes actually had moving room and the ankle support was perfect. The shoes that most woman were buying were this hot pink rocking number, but they were a grade down from the ones I had first tired on. As soon as I put the hot pink ones on, wow what a difference between the two. I had to go with the first ones. Probably shouldn't have bought them this week...but they were 20% off. At least the husband isn't here to kill me. LOL! Oh, and I wore one of the shirts I designed and printed to the even! Got lots of great comments on it!!

Lots more to do this weekend, but I do see a nap in my future!

Have a healthy and happy weekend!!

No comments:

 

blogger templates |